The secrets for Instagram to go viral in recent years are reels, a short-form video format that is easy to create on Instagram. But understanding the perfect Instagram Reels strategy for your business is slightly tricky. It’s good to know that access to all the features on Instagram reels can help you to produce perfect content for your audience. While producing quality content, you must consider the look of your reel video. How to produce a reel with a great look? By analyzing the specifications, ratios, and size of your video. Keep reading this article for everything you need to know about Instagram Reel dimensions, which will make your reel to overcome the campaign on Instagram.
About Instagram Reels
Reels are short-form video formats that can span up to 90 seconds. Users can easily record, edit, and add music on their Instagram reels and post it to their feeds. Instagram reels are one of the effective ways for creators and brands to expand their reach among vast audiences. Create innovative, informative, and entertaining videos to skyrocket reel likes for your Instagram post. Instagram reels have stickers, filters, effects, text, music, and visual effects to engage with your audience. It has a lot of similarities with stories, which are available 24 hours from the posting time after that, automatically deleted from your profile. However, there are some primary differences between reels and stories. That’s why the reels are standing well on this platform.
Here are the key difference between reels and stories are as follows:
Length: You can create Instagram stories videos up to 15 seconds long. Reel length can be up to 90 seconds long. This makes reels better for giving informative videos in detail.
Appearance: Instagram reels can appear on the dedicated “Reels” tab, stories, your follower’s feeds, and explore pages. On the other hand, Stories can be only seen on your follower’s profile and your profile (whether you can save stories as “Highlights” to view later on your profile).
Discoverability: You can view everyone’s reels on Instagram even if you do not follow the person’s profile (who uploads a reel video). In contrast, stories are only viewable by your existing followers.
Make Instagram Reels
Creating Instagram reels does not take much time. But if you need to make it with creativity, it takes some time and effort. You can create Instagram reels in two ways:
- Instagram allows you to use an in-built video recorder to film and edit your reel content.
- Otherwise, capture clips on your device and edit those clips using third-party editing tools(optional for you) or reel editing tools. You can upload clips using the camera roll on the Reels tab.
The advantages of recording reels on Instagram: Best aspect ratio and dimension for your reel: When recording your reels within the Instagram app, the video recorder will show how your reel exactly looks after uploading it on this platform. The benefit of the video recording feature is that you don’t need to crop and resize your reel video manually.
Use align tool for seamless transition: In Reel recorder features, use the align tool while creating multiple clips in your video. This tool gives a smooth transition from one clip to another clip or stitch clips, which helps avoid awkward shakes and jumps between two clips.
Add effects and filters in your video: you can use in-built editing tools in the reels recorder to add filters, music, stickers and visual effects. Also, you will preview the effects and filters before recording a video. This way can help you to find the best things for your video.
Here are the steps to record Reels on Instagram:
- Launch the Instagram app and tap the plus “+” icon at the top-right corner of your screen. Select “Reel” from the available menu to record a new video.
- You can now select the filters and effects to see the preview of your editing features. You can upload existing clips in your camera roll by clicking the gallery icon at the bottom-left corner or recording new clips.
- Make your reels more entertaining for the audience by adding sound. Click the music icon at the left menu to set background music for your video.
- Choose the audio from suggested audios or search for one in the music library. You can preview your audio clip by tapping the play button. Otherwise, you can add music from your phone gallery.
- After editing, tap the “Next” button to move forward on the publish page. Click the “Post” button to publish it on Instagram.
Instagram Reel Dimensions
When you choose videos from your phone gallery for reels, it is good to remember the Instagram reel size, aspect ratios and dimensions.
Instagram Reels Tab View
Aspect ratio: 9:16
Dimensions: 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels
While watching videos on the “Reels” tab, it will play at the 1080(width)x1920(height) pixel resolution.
Instagram Reels Feed View
Aspect ratio: 4:5
Dimensions:1080 pixels x 1350 pixels
When users view the reels in the feed section, it does not play at full-screen. To give a scrolling experience, Instagram crop the video vertically.
Instagram Reels cover
Aspect ratio: 1:1(profile feed grid) and 9:16( reels feed)
Dimensions: 1080 pixels x 1080 pixels (profile feed grid), 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels (profile reels feed)
Thumbnails for your reel video grab the users’ attention when visiting your profile page. However, reel thumbnail covers are a little tricky because one is viewable in your user’s reel feed, which uses the same aspect ratio as Instagram reel size. Other versions of the thumbnail use different aspect ratios. Even Though Instagram reels use two different sizes in the cover image, it only allows you to edit one of the cover images straightly. You can discover that cover on your profile reel feed.
Here are the steps to use a custom cover for your Instagram reel:
- Go to your profile page, head over to the reels feed and select the reel you need to edit the cover image.
- Click the “three-dot” icon, go to the “Settings” menu and choose the “Manage” option.
- Press “Edit” and select the “Cover” icon at the bottom of the reel preview section.
- You can select the frame from your reel video or click the “camera roll” icon to add a custom reel cover.
- Double-time click the “Done” option to replace your old cover with the new one.
Best Length For Instagram Reels
You can use a maximum reel video length of 90 seconds, but don’t use a maximum length every time. Select the finest reel length that is suitable to your objectives. Best reel length for generating comments: between 7-18 seconds; get shares: maximum of 18 seconds, more reel views: between 3-15 seconds; make the conversion on followers: 30-90 seconds.
Best Length For Instagram Reel Captions
Reel captions length of up to 2200 characters. That is more than enough characters to provide a text for the video, tell a story, and interact with the audience. Add captions very short and cut out the point to make users watch your reel video. Including caption for your reel can be helpful to users in knowing your video is about which content.
How Does The Instagram Reel Algorithm Work
Instagram reel algorithm can influence the following factors:
- Audience engagement (it means comments, likes, shares, saves and watching time)
- The proper size of the video (vertical video format performs well than horizontal videos)
- Creativity (use trending songs, effects, filters and hashtags)
Perfect size for your Instagram reel video is one of the main factors to getting featured on the explore page. However, audience engagement is a crucial part of any social media channel. So follow the above instructions while filming and editing videos.
Instagram reel feature has enormous tools to make creative videos for your audience. However, making a reel with perfect size and dimension is crucial because appearance is important for audience engagement. To have better interactions with your audience, make videos with perfect resolutions.
The common belief is that Instagram reels are the fastest-growing feature because of its short-form nature. Use popular songs and hashtags in your video to maximize your profile reach on this platform.